1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brushes

Discussion in 'Face Painting' started by Pinky the Clown, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Pinky the Clown

Pinky the Clown New Member

I'm really new to facepainting. What kind of brushes should I get and where do I get them?

2. Ronny Ronito

Ronny Ronito New Member

Snazzaroo sell a good range.
    Many face painters make the mistake of buying cheap brushes that can lose bristles, and can lead to allergic reactions on delicate children's faces. Some of the very cheap brushes can also scratch.http://www.snazaroo.com/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

Silly farm, Hobby Lobby or Micheals is also a good place to look for brushes, "golden talon" I think most of mine are loew cornell #3 round, And I bought from all three Snaz, Silly Farm and Micheals
    make sure when you buy brushed the firmly in there, give a little tug if some pull out don't get it. How you use and treat your brushes is more important ie don't let them sit in water in their brush ends as this will bend and distort the bristles. Don't go buy a lot of brushes, try a few different sizes and shape, as you get the feel for what you like then you may want more of that size. I have several sizes, round, flat, angle, but I prefer the #3 size for me. I would recommend you get one specifically for white so that you don't accidently get other colors in your mix and for me I have a special one that's a different color so I don't get it mixed up with the others.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Tilly

Tilly New Member

Pinky, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you an excerpt from one of my handouts that pertains specifically to brushes.

As for how to choose your own, most crafting stores have good quality brushes at a low price. You do NOT have to buy strictly face painting brand brushes. Because frankly, that can get really expensive really quick. My personal favorite brand for brushes is Simply Simmons. They are a great quality brush for a low price.... about $3.00 per brush... no matter the size. You could pay up to $10.00 for a face painting branded brush that is 3/4" or even a good liner, but S.S. makes all these brushes for only $3.00 a brush. (Yes, I love these brushes)

Loew-Cornell is also a good brand but slightly more expensive.

I get all my brushes from craft stores such as Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JoAnne Fabrics, and the like. Bacically, if I can't hold it and feel it for myself, then I probably won't buy it.

Hope this helps. And send me your e-mail!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Pinky the Clown

Pinky the Clown New Member

Yes, I remember Simply Simmons. And I go to Hobby Lobby and Michaels but they have so many choices in that brand so I don't know which sizes and styles I need. So, if I can't get brushes figured out before the Fling...I would like your help. I purchased the paradise paints. And I really want to get one of those practice thingys cause I run out of arm quickly.

6. Tilly

Tilly New Member

For a beginner I woul suggest some round brushes in varying sizes, such as a #2, #4, and a #6... some flats in varying sizes, a filbert or two, and some sponges. Take your brushes home and play with the for a bit...learn how they flow with the paint and what kinds of strokes you can make with them. Find what brushes make your hands feel 'happy' as I say. If you don't like using the brush in pactice you won't use it on a gig.

Also, Hazel sells practice heads, so you should be able to pick one up or order one at the Spring Fling. ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 2