1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating a new act...about cardboard boxes!

Discussion in 'Circus and Stage Clowning' started by Snoetje, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

Hi all!
    I will perform on a theater festival (it's a free festival for everyone and on different locations, everything except the theater!)in a few months and I'm in the progress of creating a new act for that festival.
    So far I had barely the energy to work on it. I hope to get more energy if I can share this with others!
    So, here I keep you up-to-date about the progress. I will post videos too. Since I have a new camera it's much easier to record something and convert it on my pc.
    You're of course welcome to throw out ideas or improvements or just encourage me. But don't use too harsh words please!
    Oh, also important to know: I work much much better under pressure. For example the first time I showed an act on stage, the rehearsel sucked, but when seeing a lot audience it went extremely well! (every child laughed and I got lots of compliments!). So in the videos I might perform in much less quality than I would in real.

-------------
    The act will be about cardboard boxes, because that's the ultimate toy! :D

So far I've worked on a song with cardboard puppets on my hands and feet. I will not sing it myself, I will playback it. (see picture, except I will have one box on my feet instead of two). I tried other things too to get ideas. I've written down the act, but if I tell you get another idea than I mean. So I have to film it.

I also filmed a few bits, but ehm...it's not good enough to show. Okay, see you soon!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  2. ToonUp

ToonUp Member

Cute drawing! When you say one box on your feet, you mean one per foot, or both in one? Do you have a big box? Popping out of one like a Jill-in-the-box could be a great entrance. It looks like the boxes are singing. Would you do a lip-sync/dance where the boxes "sang" a played song whilst you bobbed along with a bit of physical comedy? You could also hide squeekers and horns in the box/puppets to give them voices.
    Such potential...

3. Snoetje

No, one foot doesn't have a box. I discovered I can't stand and tilt up two at the same time haha. Then I should sit and I don't think that would be a good idea.

Yes, I plan to start with that! I don't have a big enough box to fit in yet, but I can order it (hopefully). I plan to sleep in that big box and then the 'alarm clock' (a tiny box) goes off and I pop out trying to turn it off (which fails). After that I do 'morning exercises' with 2 similar boxes. Like they are weights or something. The movements will be really weird.

I plan to do lip-sync with an a cappella song! There is a girl's voice too in the song so I would play the girl. There is also a version of that song without the voice, but that's a little boring. :p
    The squeekers are a neat idea! Sadly I'm not very musical so I think it wouldn't work for me to make up some nice rytm/song with the sounds.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  4. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

This reminds me of a book I heard about, Welcome to Your Awesome Robot.
    And if the robot ever turned on its makers, the correct weapon is a cardboard tube lightsaber!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Snoetje

Nice! :D Maybe I use this as inspiration too.

6. Snoetje

I'm actually a bit embarrassed to post this but it's better than nothing!

You might miss some of the jokes because it's in my language again. Translation of the most important ones below the video:

Kaastaart = Cheese pie
    Kom niet! = Don't come!
    Kom wel! = Do come!

Oh and in the preview I say "hi!"

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  7. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Wonderful!!! :applause:

That last bit was perfect!! I'm still giggling... :D

8. Snoetje

I plan to use that last part (and similar things) in the real act. If I can let someone do the sound effects. :)

9. Snoetje

I found a box I fit in! Sort of. I made some pictures of me practising on boxes I already have. Will replace some.
    One box (I will replace the one in the picture with one with bigger flaps) is going to be a bird and then it poops on me. Including a nice birdpoop sound.
    And I'm going to do morning exercises (really weird ones, as you see in the last picture), after clumsying a lot with turning off the alarm clock (which is the tiny white box in the picture) and trying to get the pile of boxes right again, turning off the alarm clock is going to make a mess. :p
    Sadly I don't have more worthy material yet. It's a pretty difficult act to create!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Yes!

Classic tomfoolery never goes out of style!! And you have the skills to pull it off!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Snoetje

ARGH! NO! I just heard I can't join the festival. I'm so much in bad luck. :(
    Maybe another time...

12. Snoetje

Hehe, I'm already over it. :)

That's a nice one!

13. Barnie Bonkers

Barnie Bonkers Well-Known Member

I was going to try this for a Christmas Parade, but Martie chickened out on me.... maybe next year...

Anyway, Martie as a girl Clown was going to have a Long Shopping list (mostly written For "ME" ) She would be happily "shopping" and in an Olive Oyle-ish voice talking about all the nice stores and "Oooh Look they have such cute stuff in there" (If she wasn't so shy, Martie can do a really good Olive Oyle-ish voice)
    and I was going to be following her with a HUGE stack of gift wrapped boxes...the result of her shopping spree. Not looking to happy, and playing it as much as possible.

For the stack of boxes....I was going to run a loop of rope up through holes cut in the center of the boxes, stringing then together like beads, so they would wobble but the loop of rope would keep them from falling over.
    I figure the stack of boxes wouldn't be to heavy, but my arms would still be tired by the end of the parade......

• Thanks Thanks x 1