1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drag Queen Turned Clown

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mavis Pierrot, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Mavis Pierrot

Mavis Pierrot New Member

Hello everyone, I would like to start out by saying that I have just recently been introduced to the wonderful world of clowning and find it extremely fun and charming. This is my first post on any forum ever so I would like to introduce myself and get to know some of the people on this forum.

A little bit about myself: I'm into makeup, big time. About halfway through high school I knew for sure that whatever I did as a job or career, I wanted it to involve makeup. I started doing drag only a couple of months ago and loved it the minute I stroked my first eyebrow hair with a glue stick. I started with trying to look like a woman, as any drag queen does, but it just wasn't enough for me. I craved a more cartoon-y look like Trixie Mattel or Kim Chi. Eventually, my cravings led me to the amazing world of clowns, which is what my look is based on today.
    My friends consider me to be a very funny person, however I am actually very introverted and shy around strangers. My humor is unintentional, I really don't mean to be funny. I am somewhat quick-witted and for some reason do awkwardly funny things as a defensive mechanism such as doing yoga stretches in the middle of conversations and looking off into nothing while I walk around public places. Basically anything that would make a stranger thing "what's wrong with that person over there?" I don't understand it myself, but it makes me feel invulnerable when I do out of the ordinary things.
    I'm a bit sassy, a bit ditzy, and very clumsy. However, everything from stumbling to walking into poles is done 2% on purpose.
    I decided when choosing my drag/clown name that I wanted it to be funny in a such a stupid way that it's brilliant. I mean, Mavis Over at Reception? How'd she get a past the interview? She looks like she fell into a puddle of white-out on the way there. I drew inspiration from an Australian drag queen, Karen from Finance.
    I've yet to actually perform anywhere, I guess you could call me a closeted clown. However, I have been practicing certain skills like balloon twisting, juggling, makeup, and sewing. I guess I just need a little bit more time before putting myself out there to purposely make a fool of myself.

My goal is to learn as much as I can from you all and marry the world of clowning and drag so that I may improve myself as an entertainer. I know in my heart of hearts that clowning is the right path for me. Thank you for taking the time to read my long introduction, I can't wait to start participating in more threads!

xoxo, Mavis Over at Reception

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Mavis! It is so good to meet you, considering we've needed a receptionist around here for quite some time. Have you met Phil from payroll yet? No? Well, I haven't either. I'll be back later with a stack of forms for you to fill out. Oh, and the coffee machine is broken. Sorry about that.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  3. NightJesterJ

NightJesterJ Member

Hi nice to meet ya! I think your idea of merging clowning and drag is awesome and cannot wait to see what you have in store for us. ^_^

4. Mavis Pierrot

Mavis Pierrot New Member

Thank you guys so much! I'm looking forward to sharing all of my ideas, costume and makeup sketches, and tips and tricks I've learned from drag with all of you~

5. KageTomari

KageTomari prolific poster....

welcome to clown forum

6. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Clowning and drag have a lot more in common than most people realize.

Of course, historically, some circus clowns really enjoyed playing with drag clown characters, also.

It sounds like you have a great knack for creative comedy.

7. Mavis Pierrot

Mavis Pierrot New Member

Thanks, Tim, after reading your response I remembered an interview with RuPaul talking about how drag comes from clowns or something along those lines so now I feel a bit silly for saying I wanted to combine the two.

However, what I mainly meant was incorporating clowning skills like improv, juggling, balloon twisting, etc. into future drag performances rather than just a typical lip sync and dance for 5 minutes.

• Creative Creative x 2
  8. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

True. A lot of drag performances are awful similar, and once you've seen it once you've sorta seen it all. Good for you trying something unique!

9. adagiofrazzle

adagiofrazzle New Member

Trixie+Mattel= upload_2017-4-17_13-39-9.jpeg

alternatively... upload_2017-4-17_13-40-7.jpeg