1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help developing magic trick

Discussion in 'Magic' started by Pookie, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

One of my favorite magic routines is performed by the great Tony Slydini, where he has a volunteer sit and Slydini performs some sleight of hand to make paper balls disappear in front of the volunteer. However, the sleight of hand is done in such a way that while the volunteer is unaware of what is going on, the audience can see the whole thing.

So this got me thinking. Are there other magic tricks or routines that can be adjusted in such a way that when performed with a volunteer that person is unaware of what is going on while the audience is in on the gag??

2. V

V Well-Known Member

Shackle escapes, especially comedy bits (Suit Jacket escape as an example) can be played pretty well with the participant as the rube...

3. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

Good question Pookie, well presented, deserves an answer.

Fortunately for you the answer is a resounding "YES". Tom Mullica performs a wonderful penetrating, linking type routine with nothing other than a wire coat hanger. One member of the audience is selected and either blind folded or asked to keep their eyes closed. The rest of the audience sees all. The "victim" is well and truly befuddled and the rest of the audience find great pleasure in seeing how easy the befuddlement is achieved. It is really simple to perform, requiring no skill, other than knowledge of a secret and a little showmanship.

I looked already and there appears to be no video clips on the internet of Tom performing or teaching this series of stunts. (Something I am quite glad about). He teaches the routine in his impromptu magic DVDs and I can't recommend them high enough. Please please please Pookie seek these out, buy them and study them. If you ever thought I might know what I am talking about, this is the proof. Buy Tom Mullica Impromptu Magic DVDs and thank me later.

Ryan Pilling is not a patch on Tom Mullica but this gives you an idea of what the routine entails.

4. maverick

maverick Member

How about the crack and restored egg? Kids love the idea of things getting messy,

5. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

UPDATE!!!

I recently had an epiphany, or maybe just a subconscious connection.

I realized that one of the oldest tricks can be done in a manner that the rube would be clueless, while the audience is in on the gag. The cup and balls trick!!!

The participant could be positioned so as not able to see the balls being moved around and the audience can. I will be working on this one as time allows and maybe get a video.

6. V

V Well-Known Member

FWIW - I'd look into a chop cup routine. IMO, it's superior to cups and balls if handled correctly. Most established guys have some really good chop cup sets - for a comedy routine, it doesn't get much better than Mac King.

• Thanks Thanks x 1