1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you were to buy a book on face painting...

Discussion in 'Face Painting' started by Smacky, May 15, 2013.

1. Smacky

Smacky New Member

Which would you be MOST likely to purchase:

1. Face Painting for PROFIT!

This book deals with the business side of the business, focusing primarily on business plan development. What is a business plan, why do I need one to succeed. Further chapters cover the art of successful sales.

2. You CAN face paint!

Don't think you can do it? This book will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know to kick the crap out of 90% of the competition you are likely to encounter -- while laying the foundation for a solid lucrative career as a professional.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  2. Smacky

Smacky New Member

Thanks.

I suppose the question really is which "need" is greater.

3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I am not a big fan of reading books unless they have lots of pictures. But, when it comes to face painting, a video is better than pictures or words.

A book on running a business might be the more valuable of the two, despite being a book. The parts I have not done are the incorporating as a business, getting state or local licenses, dealing with sales tax when selling products. Not sure what else would be a good topic. I probably know about marketing, but never had the time to do it right. Pictures, copyright issues, and such would also be good topics.

4. Smacky

Smacky New Member

I go back and forth on this as there are advantages to each. In a video it is often easier to grasp what's really happening. You can see the brushwork and blending in real time and experience it vicariously. You can learn to spot when something is going wrong and how to address it. You can often even learn something from watching how the artist deals with the customers.

A book, on the other hand, is something you can carry with you. If it offers designs -- and it should -- then the book can serve as guide for the artist while providing menu images for use in advertising.

What I had in mind was something that was more a lesson plan than a book of pretty pictures. I believe that with the right instruction and foundation anyone who works as hard as working clowns do (or is willing to apply themselves), regardless of their artistic talents, can learn how to produce exceptional and PROFESSIONAL caliber work. Work that will allow them to compete successfully against any competition they are likely to encounter regardless of their market.

We do this for a living. Virtually every weekend we are out there. We are on the road constantly, travelling all over Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana working festivals and fairs. And virtually every weekend we have competition -- often lots of it. The problem most of these people have is not a lack of desire or mechanical skill, but a lack of knowlege. They don't know what designs work or why they work when they do, they don't know what products to purchase or how to properly use them, they waste money and time on the wrong things, and often they don't really even understand what their customers want.

The question in my mind -- and the reason I have not written the thing already -- is whether or not I want potential competetors learning this stuff. I don't mind offering advice to people here, but that feels less self-destructive.

I would not be the guy to go to for advice like that, and in any case the laws in every state would be different. If I were to write a book on the business side of things I think I would focus on what is probably the most powerful and least utilized took at a business owner's disposal: The Business Plan.

The Business Plan is, literally, a business's road map to success, and yet few people understand what this is and how it can work for them. There is a bloody good reason no bank or investor will waste their time on you unless you can provide this. The reason is simple: they can read it and come away with a very good idea of whether or not you will be successful.

Since I rarely post without adding a picture of our linework, here's a flame monster:

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  5. Tilly

Tilly New Member

I see your point about not wanting to give your secrets away to competitors. However, you wouldn't be "Giving" anything away, they'd be buying them from you... so regardless, you're still making a profit... and off of them, no less!

I know that if you wrote a book, I would buy it in a heart beat because I recognize your quality of work, and respect your business advice as I have for years on this forum.

6. Gladman

Gladman Well-Known Member

Seems like you could still put out the book and just not include the stuff you've worked hard to perfect. Some of us would definitely benefit from some fairly basic stuff, like I did for my first birthday party. I've gotten 15 calls since the silly party. There's just no one around in many rural areas. Many folks try their hand at it with Chinese Wal Mart stuff. These folks thought I was a professional with my hand sanitizer, handiwipes, and sponges, so I guess I was.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, could U give me an Elvis face? :pie:

7. Smacky

Smacky New Member

Thanks for the feedback. You folks have definately given me something to think about.

8. Zoodles

Zoodles New Member

Hi Smacky!

I'm a face painter myself & do quite well with my little hobby business here in East Tennessee. I learned my skill from watching many, many Youtubes & attending FABAIC last year.

I do well not because I'm that good of a face painter, I do well because I'm a business woman first. Some people are natural artists - I'm not... I had to (and continue to), learn the skill. However, I'm a natural when it comes to business. I've combined the 2 and I consider myself successful. For me the hardest thing is to find good artists to hire under me for gigs that I can't attend. But that's another story.

If you want to write a book & profit from it, try writing an "E" book. Just google the term & you'll get lots of suggestions. I'm told it can be pretty profitable too!

And don't worry about competition at large events - your work and your attitude towards your customers will go a long way! In my "real" business we set up at events where booth space runs almost $8000 for 10 days and most times vendor organizers will set up same type business side by side... customers come up to me and ask, "Doesn't it bother you to have your competitor set up right next to you?". My answer always is, "No, I don't compete against them.. they compete against me!" Our company has been around since 1989 while competitors come & go. One of the reasons we rock is that we always show up and never bad mouth the other guys. What bugs competitors the most is that our products are more expensive than theirs, yet we stay busy all the time and they just watch and wonder.

I have several face painting friends and to be honest with you, they're all amazing at their craft yet they suck at business because their interest is creating art - not answering the phone & returning emails. I think a book that combines business with design work could be profitable and maybe you can write your book & invite contributors on special topics!

Good luck and have fun!