1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invisible thread

Discussion in 'Magic' started by twinky winky, Jul 7, 2010.

1. twinky winky

twinky winky New Member

Does anybody know, if invisible thread comes in different strenghts , and is there a better brand then others ? I bought some and it does'nt look so invisible to me !. And do you know if those winding cadgets you hook on to yourself , work well ? Or is it better just to tie the string to a button that your wearing.

2. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

i've always seen people use scotch tape and tape it behind their ear.. or have it tied on a small safety pin and pin it inside your shirt somewhere or something.. it really depends on what you're using it for as to where you put it.. and i'm not sure about the whole weight thing on it..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

Hiya Twinky Winky, its lovely to see a clown here, expressing an interest in something magical beyond the most simple, of self working, colouring books, thumb tips and vanishing bandanas. Invisible threads in a practiced hand can create some of the most visually stunning, beautiful and astonishing magical effects ever seen. Handled correctly, you will regularly see slack jawed, eye popped, expressions of wonder and amazement on the faces of even the most cynical of your audience. I applaud and congratulate your interest in this particular branch of magic.

Invisible thread magic, is very simple and easy to work but it is not self working. You will need to put a certain amount of effort in mastering it. I don’t know what else you do, nor what kind of background you have, so describing the level of effort you will need to expend is difficult to gauge easily. As a random analogy. If you are a line dancer (I aren’t) or have some kind of concept of what line dancing entails, (I don’t). I assume the amount of effort it takes, in terms of skill and practice to master a new step is comparable to learning a new thread move. Does that make sense? Another way of putting it is, I personally have an attention span of about 45 minutes, anything over that, bores me and I have to take a break before resuming another session. Any new move with a thread, can easily be mastered in about 45 minutes. For all those not willing to apply their minds and time to such a small ammount of effort, to acquire a new performance skill, they probably shouldn’t be, a performing clown in the first place. For all those who are prepared to put a certain amount of effort into acquiring new magical and clownny skills and do not currently practise with invisible threads, I very strongly, urge you to consider them.

The threads I use, were originally developed in medical science for surgeons wishing to stitch retinas into eye balls. It is impossible to find a thread that does not come finer or stronger than that! The stuff you have is probably, exactly the same stuff already. Do not worry about the visibility or strength of your thread, it is all a question of learning how to use it correctly. There are some very simple principles and rules, that once learned, render threads completely invisible. The four most essential ones are keep the lighting behind you, wear dark clothes, move in a gentle smooth manner and polish your finger nails. If you look in my album “A day out in Leeds”, you will see a costume that was very specifically designed with thread magic in mind. The black shirt is worn not only to counter the brightness of my jacket but also to hide the silhouette created by threads or ravens. (If you do not know what a “Raven” is, get one of these before you even consider threads)

An invisible thread reel (ITR) is a fantastically brilliant utility device, on a similar level to a thumb tip. In its self, it is not in the slightest bit magical but just as with a thumb tip and a certain amount of ingenuity, it becomes a tremendously powerful weapon for wowing an audience. For anyone considering practising thread magic, ITRs are an absolute indispensable must have, forget about loops for now. An ITR automatically dispenses and takes up the slack in a thread. Do not buy the cheapest one you can find either, get the most expensive one available. They range in price from £8 to £20, the best ones are far superior in a number of subtle ways. Once bought, you will see they are also very simple devises, that you can make easily and cheaply your self from readily available high street bought commodities.

Scotch tape, as Knute mistakenly mentioned is absolutely no good. You need a blob of proper magicians wax. With magicians wax, you will find it easy to anchor the end of the thread subtly, to hats, sun glasses, buttons, table tops, cutlery, ear lobes, cards etc. Weights of objects, are also not as critical as you might assume. Just as an angler, fly fishing, can land a twenty pound trout on a 16 ounce line, thread magic is all about finesse, deftness and smoothness. (the reason why you polish your finger nails and also why it’s an art that takes some practice)

It is a long time since I studied thread magic and do not have first hand experience of what is currently available on the market to recommend for instructional advice. I notice Mike Ammar has a series of DVDs available on the subject and know him well enough to be confident in blindly recommending him. I am sure, if you start off with number one in his series, you will learn enough stuff to appear both astonishingly magical and have also have a desire to buy the second one in his series.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  4. SCOOP

SCOOP Ace Reporter

i must say the michael ammar dvd's called easy to master thread miricles is awesome
    it shows you how to get invisible thread from your local fabric store and how to get invisible elastic from a pair of nylons. it goes over thread reels the elastic the thread and the loops. all have thier uses. i am not deep enough into it to give any real advice other then get these dvds if you really want to pursue this form of magic. and i also have the michael ammars complete cups and balls that man really goes over every single detail in anything he has on dvd i want to get the card miricles sometime

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

I think you have not untwisted it yet. When it arrives it looks visible. Several strands are twined together. Once you untwist it several times, pull out a strand. There should be multiple strands so you can get a lot of uses.

If you think a strand is still good to reuse, save it in a plastic lunch bag so it will be kept safe from damage, and easy to find.

Invisible thread is made in multiple ways. The major way is a thin piece of thread. Another way is elastic. To move an object pressure is required by pulling and releasing the thread. Another way is Invisible thread loops. Majority of the time the elastic thread loops are kept on the performers wrist to easily get access of.

The trick I would recommend mostly for a clown using invisible thread is the Hummingbird Card: YouTube - Hummingbird Card

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  6. twinky winky

twinky winky New Member

dynamo ,are you a psychic now too ! (hehe) cause that is one of my chosen tricks ! i guess happy practice to me ! thanks again !

7. twinky winky

twinky winky New Member

Thanks scoop awesome information !

8. twinky winky

twinky winky New Member

Wow-weeee !!! Mr b daft, my cup is over flowing with wonderful information ! ( 5x ) thanks a bunch ! ( i like your name too!)

9. twinky winky

twinky winky New Member

THANK YOU I KNEWT ! CAUSE I KNEW YOU KNEWT ! hehe

10. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

You are most welcome.

11. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Well I guess I must not be much of a psychic then Twinky Winky, because I totally disagree with your thoughts about “Hummingbird Cards”. I can see absolutely nothing clowny about that particular stunt at all and I think it would be a very sad thing, if spinning a card was the extent of you ambitions with threads. It is the equivalent of vanishing a silk in a thumb tip, there is no art, no imagination or any of you in it.

When I make magic and especially as a “clown”, making magic, I want to create a weird and bizarre aura, where strange and magical things manifest, in the stuff that happens to be around me. Flourishy card tricks just does not say “clown” to me, it says “magician“. The whole point and beauty of invisible threads, is not just about allowing something to defy gravity. Threads allow you to animate objects, to bring them to life and then get them to perform for you.

Invisible threads can be employed in far more subtle and much more beautiful ways, than spinning a card. Would you not prefer to be able to place a shoe lace on the table and then watch it, tie itself into a knot? Or take a dollar bill from your audience, fold it into an origami bird or butterfly and then see it take flight from your finger tips? What about an origami frog that will hop across the floor? Or be able to demonstrate the ability to magnitize a pencil and stand it on its point? These are all very simple affects that can be performed in the closest and most intimate spaces with the viewers face, only a few inches from the action and not once seeing or suspecting a thread.

I just came across Sean Bogunia for the first time. YouTube - The most advanced invisible thread controller on the planet Did you see what he does with the balloons? Now that really does inspire the clowny interest in me. I can imagine all sorts of funny little stories and scenarios, me performing and pantomiming, all that classic stuff, putting the balloon down and turning for a moment only to have it misbehave while my back was turned. I can instantly see “CLOWN” and can imagine the fun, the children would laughing at me do that. Why why why would you wish to spin a card when there is all that potential for mayhem and fun?

If Bogunia inspires you, as he has me, you really need to understand how ITRs work. If you buy one and play with it, all sorts of things then become possible. Just as with a thumb tip, the uses of an ITR are only limited by your imagination. They are actually quite simple devices that once understood can be easily be made yourself but built better, customized, depending on what you plan to do with them.

12. Dynamo

Dynamo Well-Known Member

A lot of laymen get psychic and mentalist mixed up. I am a mentalist, but not a psychic. Psychic are the performers who tell an individual's future and what should be changed in their life. A mentalist is an entertainer that performs with telepathy, clairvoyance, divination, precognition, psychokinesis and mind control.

I can see you performing the Hummingbird Card in an entertain manner, Twinky Winky by looking at your profile photo and the personality you show on your post. I have strong beliefs you will perform it well. The character an individual shows when performing a trick is important. You can looked confused as the card goes around you. That will be entertaining to the children as you appear you have a hard time catching it. The kids will laugh at your humor. It will keep the adults pleased also, especially for keeping the children amused.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Dynamo, I have seen your videos and heard accounts of the stuff you do, so I know you have a fair amount of skill, experience and knowledge, when it comes to performing magic. I can readily accept, you have the ability to provoke magical wonder, both on and off stage and I am also sure there are areas in magical practice, where I would happily bow to your expertise and be prepared sit quietly and learn from you. But in relation to this particular thread, please first carefully consider asking yourself. Are invisible threads really and truly your thing? Do you have any real, in-depth, first hand experience, with invisible threads that you can share with us? Can you honestly and openly, put your hand on your heart and sit there and tell Twinky Winky, me and this entire forum, that you have developed the necessary skills required, to employ invisible threads in your performances? Because I can answer yes to all of those.

I have worked with threads for over twenty years. In normal situations, I always carry two ITRs, hidden under my right lapel. I enjoy animations and levitations and they form a strong component to my performing repertoire. Not only do I use threads, I have an assortment of gaffs, gimmicks, and other devious devices secreted around my person to achieve similar effects. I have never been interested in performing big, staged effects and showy, flash magic. I can appreciate it and enjoy watching it, but it is totally and utterly, not my kind of style. Instead, I have worked very hard for most of my adult life, to acquire an in-depth knowledge of seemingly, impromptu, everyday, close up magic. This is exactly my area of expertise.

Twinky Winky, unlike Dynamo, (here I bow to his superior mentalist abilities), I am having a fair amount of trouble divining much information from your profile picture. Perhaps it would be helpful, if you were to describe what kind of magical background and skills you have already and what your aspirations with threads are. I am quite sure you will have done a google search for thread magic and will be frustrated to find there is not a great deal of information available. This is a shame for those seeking information but a great advantage for magicians wanting to keep their secrets out of the hands of the lay community. (I remember a time when few people outside the magic community knew anything of thumb tips and svengali decks).

"Thread magic", is a relatively new magical discipline that didn’t really take off until the early 90s when fine threads used in eye surgery were first developed. As such, the collective work of generations of magical minds is relatively small in comparison to say, cards, cups and balls or mentalism. That said, some of the very greatest minds in contemporary magic have applied themselves in this direction and produced some very beautiful and astonishing magical routines, that utilise threads in in all manner of astonishing ways. Just because you may not have found much information on thread magic, this does not mean there is not a wealth of information that can not be shared.

14. V

V Well-Known Member

I know this thread is old....

Steve Fearson's Vectra IT can't be beat. It's easily the strongest IT out there that still manages to be 'invisible.' I don't know of another thread that can hold 1/4 lb. of weight.

He makes a thinner version; Vectra Virtuoso that is as close to invisible as you're likely to get. It's probably not the best stuff to begin with as it has a degree of difficulty accordingly equal to the benefits of a strong thread that is this thin.

15. TorontoBoy

TorontoBoy Active Member

I am looking for convincing close up magic. Can you really get close up and have your audience not detect the IT? I usually work outside in full sunshine, with a bright clowny shirt, so no black background for me.

16. V

V Well-Known Member

It depends on the thread. Miseka thread isn't bad for outdoors. It doesn't seem to have much of a gloss to it. Steve Fearson's thread is good as well.

You don't have to wear black; but with certain threads a plain patterned light colored shirt isn't the best bet. A busy pattern helps more than a particular color. I use IT all the time with a plaid print button up shirt from old Navy because I have one of my UCC and Top-it utilities installed in said shirt. That being said; I've also used IT with a plain white t-shirt without incident. It's like a TT really in that what makes it truly undetectable is your comfort and skill level while using it.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  17. TorontoBoy

TorontoBoy Active Member

Thanks for the IT tips. I have been looking at IT Youtube videos and they also recommended "woolly nylon" thread that they separate into individual threads. Have you tried this? I will research Miseka and Steve Fearson's. I also need to think about how to work this into my act.

18. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Yes absolutely. I generally can't see the thread myself. I know where it is and can feel it across my finger tips but I can't see it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. TorontoBoy

TorontoBoy Active Member

Thanks everyone for your advice, especially Vegitus and Mr. Daft. I have started on IT and it is easy to see the huge potential in the tool. As with all things, IT will take practice, which I am more than willing to do. I will need to research an ITR.

When performing not near any stationary object, wax behind your ear, do you do a loop to a finger, or do you use more wax stuck to your finger?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

I started with thread reels, because that was how I was introduced to them and what the guy in the magic shop told me to use. I have no experience of threads without reels and because reels work so well for me, I'm disinclined to try anything else.

I seldom use a stationary object to anchor the thread from. I move around alot and that then anchors me. I run the thread from my lapel to my sun glasses, where they go behind my ear lobes. I can walk around with it rigged like that ready to use. When I want to use it, I gently engage it with my hand or beer botle and draw out more thread. I run it over my finger nails, which have been carefully polished to allow it to move freely and smoothly, without snagging. Or better, I like to take a drink from my beer engage the thread and then table the bottle. This draws thread invisibly from my lapel out to the bottle and back up to my ear, in a completely natural and unsuspected movement. I'm now rigged up to play. I can step back a couple of meters or move closer, the reel playing out or winding in slack automaticaly. People can be stood on either side litteraly six inches away from it and they never see a thing.

If you want to learn some moves, I am sure the Michael Amar DVDs, would be a very good place to start.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 2