1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Money Belts

Discussion in 'Costumes' started by Indecisive, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

2. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

Hey Indie................I wear bibs with pockets on the chest part........they have snaps.........so I can keep my phone, money, and drivers license in them without too many problems. When I'm in some other kind of costume, they usually go into my balloon bag..............you can't find anything in there........hahahaha

3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

The Mooseburger costumes usually have pockets on the inside. My clown pants are loose enough that I can wear another pair of shorts under them without being too baggy. I keep my keys and wallets in the shorts. That keeps the other pockets available for props, jokes, or whatever. When doing balloons or face painting, not in clown, my keys and wallet are in my pockets as they would normally be when I am out and about.

4. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

I have one Christmas outfit that Barbie made foe me that has pockets in the pants and in the dress........but with the crinoline, it makes it hard to get anything out of the pocket in the pants. That's the only expensive outfit I have. My character always wears denim bibs because that's how Connie likes it....Makes it easier to get down and have fun with the kids. ....hahahahahaha.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

I wear light weight shorts under my costume pants as the pants have no pockets. The shorts keep things secure and just in case a little prankster tries to pull my pants down, I won't be flashing the tightey whiteys. That has never happened to me, but I read about it somewhere, I guess it could happen.
    WN

6. V

V Well-Known Member

I use a Tekwulf "belly band" when I need concealed storage. Around $40 plus a few bucks if you want an extra pouch. Default is 3, you can add a 4th comfortably. I can fit my wallet, pistol, an extra magazine, and cell phone. I usually just clip my keys to a belt loop or put them in a standard pocket. If I want them out of sight and no pocket room, I usually just topit them. Same for the wallet if I take a 2d magazine with me or such...

• Laugh Laugh x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

I'm sure I'm reading this wrong, but V, that's pretty hardcore bringing a pistol to gigs. Where do you clown?
    WN

8. V

V Well-Known Member

For the most part, I'm always armed - location of the gig doesn't really matter. That being said, I tend to not wear the .45acp 1911 to say, a library when doing a CSLP during the summer or when I'm doing a magic heavy show that requires multiple body loads and such..

That's what a .380 is for ;)

9. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I sort of figured the "extra magazine" wasn't the latest copy of Times or Reader's Digest...

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  10. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

I'm a bit more judicious where I bring CCW, usually only to big cities with the family. I can't imagine what would happen nowadays if it were to peek out and was detected. You read horror stories...
    .380 will only perturb someone who is "disturbed". I love my Gold Cup and Delta Elite. But that is for another forum.
    WN

11. V

V Well-Known Member

It's probably likely that someone has seen a 'tell' at some point. I often carry an IWB 1911 ('Government' - full 5" barrel) and it's not a tiny gun by any stretch. I don't know that I have too much care into some random person's opinion on my CCW practices. I can't imagine most other CCW holders making an issue of it either. It may be an issue some day, but likely because someone mentions me carrying rather than me not carrying...

On being perturbed over a .380 - Maybe that was true at some point in the distant past. Ammunition has come a long way in the past 20 years - especially the past 5-10. Not counting range shooting, I'm usually loaded with Hornady Critical Defense or PMC Gold Starfire depending on availability, with preference going with Hornady. Each link is to a ballistic gel video of each. The old Federal Hydra-Shok performs relatively well for antiquated ammunition as well...

12. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Hi V: Please do not perceive my comment as a criticism, you do what you do, and I'll do what I do, and that is what makes America great. I usually have a very low perceived threat level when I perform, so the concept of carrying at a gig was foreign to me. I agree on Hydra shocks, love em. Black Talons were great too until they went away. I will admit I'm still on the fence about .380's. I travel in areas where bath salts and Meth are popular pastimes, and people do some crazy stuff. More power to you if it works for you, I like the size and weight advantages.

This really is a subject for another forum, so lets go back to talking about pants pockets...

WN

13. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

I laughed at V's post thinking it a funny joke. Now I'm appalled. I don't know why it surprises me, the high school shooting, is as American as apple pie. WillyNilly, don't make the mistake of thinking it is what makes America great, it doesn't. It makes your nation a laughing stock in the eyes of the rest of the world.

14. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Hi Barry: I thought it was a joke too until the thread took a wrong turn off topic into concealed carry weapons. I don't know where you got the impression that I think school shootings are American as apple pie and that is what makes America great. If I wasn't such a jovial fellow, I might take offense. Wait, I am a jovial fellow and I don't care for your inference.

I think you are just sadly misinformed. Please let me clarify, I mentioned that V can do as he pleases, and I can do as I please, and that is the American freedom of which I speak. I realize some oppressed countries don't have the rights and privileges all Americans do, so I can see the animosity aimed toward the greatest country in the world.

Have you been across the pond? I have, many times, to many different countries and my experience directly contradicts your last sentence, so I must say, I disagree.

In light of recent political events, my international customers are pooping their pants, wondering what's going to happen next. I really don't think anyone is laughing about anything.

Can we go back to the costume thread about pockets? Years ago I used a mesh bag that velcro strapped around my ankle, to hold passport, wallet, etc.. Used it quite extensively in my world travels, with no incident. Only works with long pants, though.

WN

15. V

V Well-Known Member

Let's have a moment of reality... A thread about pockets? Is that genuinely where we are? It's no wonder this forum operates on a skeleton crew of mostly novices. In earnest, I can't believe that, as supposed entertainers, we can't find a solution of where we can put our car keys... Endless answers to that question; in your pocket, in a poacher's pouch, in a suitcase, in a "prison suitcase," quite literally.... anywhere.

Think about that for a single second. We are improvisers, artists, entertainers, occasionally charlatan - not that guy who has to be told where to stick their keys (see "prison suitcase" if you cannot find your own secret hiding place).

Appalled by guns is reasonable enough, especially to those outside of the US, but it is what it is. I live (obviously) in the US and specifically in "the south." Since Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc gun laws on public schools has tightened but when I was in high school it was common for students to have long guns in their vehicles - hunting season, livestock protection, whatever the reason - there were many resting in gun racks in school parking lots. It's legal to carry at my Wife's university - we do, just yesterday I bought her a new pistol actually. I know more people who carry - concealed or open (legal here) than people who do not - some of that is because of a network of military; past-and-present, & law enforcement but a lot who aren't either, they have coyotes, raccoon, & other farm predators near or they have neighbors with aggressive dogs (the amazing attitude adjustment properties of 'lead'), or they have shitty neighbors... Ironically, there seem to be as many reasons for a person to carry a firearm as there are places to hide your keys...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Other than guardsmen outside Buckingham Palace, I had never seen a gun in the flesh until I joined the army. These days it is reasonably common to see armed police at airports and other prime terrorist targets but the majority of our police remain unarmed. In the town where I live, with a population of 75,000, I have never seen an armed policeman, ever. I am now 50 years old and other than the police and army, I have never seen anyone with a gun. I don't know anyone who owns a gun. I don't even know anyone who knows anyone who owns a gun. You people (Americans not V and WN), openly and comfortably chat about guns in a way I am always going to find shocking.

We look at US gun crime with staggered disbelief. We watch with incredulity at the apparent lack of any irony, as your presidents lecture places such as China on it's human rights record. They have a problem with China executing a few thousand people each year, while allowing their own citizens to kill each other, at that rate each month. It is a laughing stock whether your comfortable with that fact or not, hence the quip about the high school shooting being as American as apple pie.

And why is it as American as apple pie? We had apple pies before America had even been discovered.

Yes lots. I studied for a year and then returned three or four times a year on business, over a fifteen year period.

I don't think anything is going to happen. The election cycle is over for another four years and it's back to business as usual.

as V said.

Don't take too much notice of what I say WN or do but don't take it to heart. I take the piss and poke fun everywhere I can. It's where my clown comes from.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. V

V Well-Known Member

I live rural, but the closest town to me is roughly 8,300. There are a handful of similarly sized towns within an hour or so of me, with an a few larger ones tossed in within 90 minutes give or take (pops. 25k, 45k, 90k). The smaller communities have a relatively large percentage of gun ownership which is significantly attributed to the nature of agriculture and hunting. However, there is also a significant number of self-defense carriers mixed into that. As you move up in population, the ownership % goes down drastically - mainly because a fair portion of the population in some of the larger towns are college students, teachers, etc and obviously, the agricultural and rural attributes diminish.

In our small 8k population towns, we have relatively militarized police forces complete with SWAT and tactical weaponry, and as you have likely guessed, as you move to larger cities here in the US, our police look more and more like military. Right or wrong, it's US culture - iirc the US owns more than a third of the entirety of firearms in the world. I can't imagine that number ever going lower, but wouldn't be surprised if it rises over time - it is what it is...

I'm 41. I've seen hundred of guns and own or have owned dozens of virtually all shape, size, and function. In a nearby town (pop. 2500) we have one of the largest gun shows/swaps in the country which usually yields a few hundred thousand people, as many as 650k, attending in a town that is roughly 9 square miles...

I've no dispute that there is a bit of General Clay and General Gore going on in the US in relation to gun ownership. People buy into the "good guy with a gun" concept, or more dire - they believe that all b"bad guys" have guns, so they need bigger and better guns - this starts an obvious cycle... Firearm technology is always improving and firearm sales are consistent year after year. Ironically, when we get politicians in positions of power that are anti-gun and try to work an agenda is that regards - the number of firearm purchases always increases as people fear some new legislation may possibly become the law of the land.

Mass shootings have become common enough in the US. The largest school shooting in the country happened 30 minutes or so from my front door in 2007. The national topic went to gun control - it always does - but more locally, it wasn't a real conversation. Most people I know, don't consider gun control talks in earnest - some simply are 100% opposed, no matter what, others less so, but because the topic has itself become almost a parody (in that someone stabs someone, and a junior senator is on tv talking gun control), it's difficult to have intelligent conversation on the matter.

Because.... we have the guns....

Agreed. I think most of the noise is coming from melodramatic democrats and the variety of liberal cultures here in the states. This past election was a lose/lose for us and I can't wait til the next one. We've become idiotic in our politics however, and I can't imagine the next batch being any better. Literally, the best thing to come out of this election - are videos of election reactions.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Did I mention I'm 50 years old?

It means my testicles now have a combined age of a century!

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  19. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I'm curious as to where the conversation did go locally.

20. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I'm intrigued by the more militarized police forces in smaller towns. I kind of take it as the norm in large cities, but might kind have assumed things were more friendly and informal in smaller communities and semi rural areas. Perhaps that is just urbanite naivitae on my part.....or a too Andy Griffith Maybury mentality. But, I can't for the life of me understand why it would be.

Perhaps related in some way is insight from an article I recently read on policing, police training, and models of policing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/in...ining-aims-to-produce-guardians-not-warriors/