1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Found Respect

Discussion in 'Party Clowning' started by Flicker, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Flicker

Flicker New Member

I did my first Birthday party last night. I don't normaly do this but a friend asked me to. It was a real mess. I was told 10-20 kids. I ended up with 56. Thats right 56. On top of that they had several other things going on while I was there.(Haunted house, egg toss, water balloon fight just to name a few) I got over run by the kids at first. Then as I was going thru my "routine", parents kept cutting in to let the next group go in the haunted house or go do one of the other things they had planned. By the end of it all I was wearing 3 smores.

I don't know how you guys do it. I am just going to stick to walk around type things and teaching safety. God Bless those of you that do this for a living. It's safer to be a Cop or a Firefighter!

• Laugh Laugh x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. Plywood

Plywood New Member

Wow! You survived Flicker! Awesome! That doesn't sound like the typical birthday party. I've never been to one that had 56 kids; who all did they invite?! I'm sure if you were open to doing another one, it wouldn't be nearly so chaotic. That's your call, though.

3. Flicker

Flicker New Member

The mother of the birthday girl was so worried that nobody would show up that she invited everyone at the girls school, all the kids from church and some others. She invited 3 times more than what showed up.

I just did it as a favor. I didn't make a dime off of it!

4. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

If you're interested in doing parties don't let this discourage you, but learn from it. I do have them sign a contract stating how many, cause I charge more if it's going to be more also this allows me to book another clown to assist, but there is also a clause that if there are more kids then originally stated the cost will be $$$ amount. This usually discourages them from lying to you about how many will be there.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. Flicker

Flicker New Member

I don't want to go the party route. I have no intention on making money from clowning. I do it to help get a point across. I just can't get over how much has to go into a single party. I knew that you had to plan, and practice your butt off to be good at it. I also know that it is a cut throat business. (at least in my area) But the contracts, and insurance and supplies and so on and so on. Once again BLESS YOU ALL.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  6. Toby KID

Toby KID Well-Known Member

What ever type of performance you are doing (walk around, birthday parties or corporate events) liability insurance is as important as your red nose.

7. Flicker

Flicker New Member

I am so lucky that I traditionally clown for my work. Both the PD and the FD have insurance that covers us during Public Ed. events. I get to have all the fun and not worry about the rest of the stuff. In all honesty my biggest concern is spending someone's money on my supplies.

8. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Flicker,
    Think of it this way. They are lucky to have you. Not many in service professions take the initiative to learn this craft on top of their already heavy load. You should be commended and get to spend whatever it takes to do it right. I wouldn't appoligize for spending the government's money. Nobody else does.
    Sara K.

9. Flicker

Flicker New Member

Oh please believe me...I am not sorry. I am more than happy to spend this money. I would love to sit down with some of our leaders and show them how to get the most out of the money they spend. If they did it like I do, we would not be in the mess that we are in now.

I am the one that is truly lucky. I have two jobs that I love and they let me be me. I have a God given passion for what i do. I would rather give someone knowledge, for them to have for a lifetime, then to put out their house fire or do a police report because they were a victim. By doing these things in clown I am able to break the ice and reach out to the kids.

I knew when I got into clowning, that to it right, it was not going to be easy. However, what I do is so, so much easier than "party" clowning.

• Thanks Thanks x 1