1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pump tips?

Discussion in 'Balloon Sculpture' started by HugoTheTramp, Jun 11, 2017.

1. HugoTheTramp

HugoTheTramp New Member

So, after spending over three hours standing under a direct, hot sunlight, with no chair to sit on, blowing and twisting balloon animals for children, almost passing off once and after getting some weird flashbacks while almost loosing my consciousness, I've decided that the thing I should invest on would be a good balloon pump.

Any suggestions? Know any good pumps?

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

I would not recommend a filbert I have one and it works but it's just too much a struggle for me. I have greater success with my mini mac. I have a balloon vendor in my area Ringling trained clown who runs a balloon shop and does a lot of decor says he's broken filberts. They are light weight for a reason but that comes with a price. I've not broken mine but admittedly I don't twist like I used to. I just don't like the down stroke. I have to struggle and push too hard to get it to inflate. I might as well be using a hand pump. The filbert doesn't require maintenance and that is a plus. The mac does require that you uncap it and re lube up the ring with petroleum jelly. You may have to order a new ring yearly or so if you use it a lot but the maintenance isn't difficult. Just make sure you get the cap on correctly. I got mine on wrong and split the cap. I fixed it but it doesn't pump the same. Also the bottom stand can be prone to breaking off. it screws on and the screw can break if you transport it unassembled. But that may have changed now. My mac is like 5 years old or so. My filbert is like 3 years old. When I buy a new one it will be a mac

4. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I have never heard anyone say the Filbert pumps were hard to push down. Yours might have a problem. Most are feather light to operate. The PVC pumps I have tried are all harder.... I think it has something to do with the diameter of the tubes, like the gears on a bike. If the diameter difference is too great, it will be harder to push. That is why the 160 hand pump is so small.

5. Special K'z

The balloon dealer told me he had the same problem. It takes more force to push down. That is why he broke his. I've tried others who've had filberts and I get the same result. Maybe it is my technique but I can work a mini mac just fine. You are right about tipping. What I find is the filbert also comes up off the ground on the upstroke. You are supposed to put your foot on it to hold it down but big clown shoes the toe of the shoe doesn't have your foot in it so the pump just slips out from under the shoe. If the mini mac just had the handles with the open holes to hold your blown up balloons it would be perfect. I love that handle to hold balloons when I'm doing a multi balllon character. I can put them under my arm but I find them more prone to popping that way and nope I don't have hairy pits. I just must have tough biceps.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. V

V Well-Known Member

For around the same price as a floor pump, you can rig up a nitrogen tank. This is one of mine - 2 hoses; first handles 350s/260s/Rounds/Hearts/321s/etc while the 2nd inflates 160s. Mounted to a standard hand-truck, with attached tip jar and signage.
    10309735_693798784014919_1556745209325277753_n.jpg DSC_0513.jpg DSC_0514.jpg DSC_0508.jpg DSC_0509.jpg

You can also, for around the same amount, get an electric air compressor and rig it for balloon twisting. If I were doing mainly outdoor events, this is what I would choose. 'Flower Clown' has a good set-up that can be found on Youtube, and is similar to what I use(d)..

7. Special K'z

Nice cute paint job and yellow coiled tubing on the tank. I went to get a nitrogen tank locally a year or so ago to do balloons for an arch. The only one I could find was bigger than I could handle even with a cart.