1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling to get my Clown sized foot in the door...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bonkers The Clown, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Bonkers The Clown

Bonkers The Clown New Member

Good Morning Everyone!

My name is Bonkers The Clown and I am a total newbies to this glorious world of clowning. Clowns have fascinated me since I was very young, but not until quite recently have I considered actually becoming one myself. I've found it extremely liberating to begin constructing a new persona for myself (makeup, costume, personality), have away with all my normal worries, be silly and (hopefully soon) make other people laugh! So far this has only been a private hobby while I'm starting out, but I'm already desperate to give it a go for real!

The problem is that it seems very difficult to get started from the very bottom, having very little experience in performance and being rather reserved in front of large groups of people. I am based in the UK (Norwich), and it seems you lot over in the US have all the luck when it comes to clown workshops and classes :p

What suggestions could people give to learn some of the skills without the pressure of having prior experience in performance or clowning itself? Does anyone know of any good workshops for complete beginners here in the UK? Sorry to be a bit clueless and vague at this point!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Love to you all,
    Bonkers

In hindsight this maybe should not be in the introductions thread, as I currently don't have much of a Clown to introduce, Oops! But I'm hoping I can get a bit of advice/guidance from you all and develop my Clown character into someone you can all properly say hello to!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

Hey Bonkers I do not know any thing about classes ect across the pond. Until find class or alley over there I would you tell you read read there are some great books on clowning, impromto, comedy. Also today world of computers there are lots of clown skits and how to. Also I found to watch the old old movies with old time comedians. When I first started I gathers ll info I could . I kept a note book that would be helpful. A clown friend told me to be a big sponge. I wa told to adsorb, adsorb every thing I could than adapted it to my clown.
    One thing I have learn is to relax, think of my audience first, think how I can bring them laughs and smiles and have fun myself then my clown is verry successful.
    Good luck to you and Laughs and Smiles.

3. Bonkers The Clown

Bonkers The Clown New Member

Hi The NORMAL One!
    Thanks very much for your reply and advice, a notebook is a great idea! I already own about 10 notebooks for various things so I don't know why I didn't think of that haha. Are there any particular books on clowning that you have read and enjoyed/found helpful?

Henceforth I will live only as a sponge until my clown training is complete! :p

Bonkers

4. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Hi Bonkers:
    Welcome to the world of clowning. It encompasses more than you can imagine and a lot more than expected. Like any endeavor, you get out what you put in. My advise is to learn all you can and decide what kind of clown you want to be. Then strive to be that. Don't listen to those who say you need to do this and you need to do that. Experience a bunch of stuff and follow your heart. Do what you want to do to make you feel good. It's a personal journey, follow it and be happy.
    When I started many years ago, it was expected you do birthday parties. I never wanted to, so I did my thing and it turned out OK for me. See what you like to do, and practice, practice, practice. You will find your niche, and rock that baby! All my best wishes, and most sincere regards. Cheers.
    WN

• Agree Agree x 1