1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The curse of the Banana Bandanna

Discussion in 'Magic' started by bugaboo the clown, May 12, 2015.

1. bugaboo the clown

bugaboo the clown New Member

This has been in my show lineup for years. It's one of my favorite routines. It has also been one of the biggest pains. I have to remember to buy the bananas before each show. Clean the Devils hankie out because more than likely I left the last banana in it...yuck! And today...for the first time in years....the banana goes in the wrong spot and falls to the floor during the reveal. Of course I play it off and nobody has a clue I just messed up. I love it I hate it..lol. Anyone else have this love/hate of this trick?

2. V

V Well-Known Member

I did it on occasion and eventually replaced it with the red bull version until ultimately abandoning it all together. It got enough laughs and mileage but it got to the point some years back where almost every kid's magician on the planet was using it. It's okay, but aged. There are better modern comedy routines out there today - suit jacket escape, celebrity smart-ass, etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. bugaboo the clown

bugaboo the clown New Member

I love the professional voice over with the trick....anyone know of some other tricks that come with voice overs and sound effects?

4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Sure. Janet. Susan. MaryLou. And several others at the adult dance club.

5. V

V Well-Known Member

You can get some high quality voice acting/voice over work done @ fiverr starting @ $5, so it's essentially just creating a routine and script for whatever effect you're trying to add a comedy narrative to and you're set.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. V

V Well-Known Member

http://magicjimmyh.com/The_Magic_of_Jimmy_H/"Siri-ously".html

While I like the idea of 'Siri' narrating this trick, I hate that they didn't change the routine to have it make sense. Why mistake the bandana for a banana if there is no reason to do so? Why have those props on hand to begin with? So on and so forth... There's a reason these things are packaged as a trick of the month style set (or the Red Bull equivalent) and that's to give them some rhyme and reason.

Zero chance I'd ever add this to my set as is and I don't know that I'd encourage others to do so either. Not to endorse intellectual theft, but what this routine needs (if it's going to be used) is a re-packaging of sorts; even if it's something as simple as 'Siri' notifying the magician that their 'trick of the month' has been downloaded, delivered, whatever... As it stands, it's far worse than either the original (in it's many adaptations) or the Red Bull version (despite potential racial insensitivity complaints).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. V

V Well-Known Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. V

V Well-Known Member

Maybe the audience is a factor on occasion but I doubt it is the main factor 100% of the time. I know a few guys who still use this for children's parties and the kids like it well enough. Most parents are indifferent - some think it's funny, others think it's dumb. The guys I know don't really try to entertain the adults at a children's party and are okay with the parents simply standing in the back of the room talking among themselves. It works well enough for them for the most part and again, it's a perfectly fine trick for kid's parties.

I just have a philosophy of entertaining everyone at the show and have found the old Acme version is pretty flat these days. I don't use any of the above versions because I think there are better options (stated above), but think that a couple of them have potential; Red Bull and Shoe-business variations especially.

9. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

This guy has my gorilla laugh.

• Thanks Thanks x 1