1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who? What? Where?

Discussion in 'Circus and Stage Clowning' started by Pinkberry, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Pinkberry

Pinkberry The man. The myth. The mustache.

...............................................................................

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Cool Fool

Cool Fool Clown

Irvin buying the circus in 1967?

3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

You called it ringlingnorth...

4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

This is a great photo...and quiz. Alas, I must admit I'm entirely at a loss, but fascinated to discover and explore details.

5. Cool Fool

Cool Fool Clown

Well, on the right, I 'spose that's Kenny standing behind his pappy, Irvin...

6. tim

I can't distinguish one Ringling from another.

(Is the current owner of Kelly Miller Circus's mom one of the ladies?)

The picture seem apropos in light of the present rumors of an upcoming sale to Disney.

I wonder whether they will continue to use the Ringling and Barnum names in presenting shows, or if they'll retire them to other departments and simply say, "Disney Presents..."

7. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Some circus acts are a little goofy, but I am not sure people want to see Goofy in the circus.

8. tim

Ah, a hint. And I believe I do know of what you are speaking. Now I just have to jog my memory. Ill get back to you after the run.

9. tim

Well (chuckle, chuckle...extend hand in air), "HEY!"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DNfKqy0xt28

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. tim

Roy Hofheinz, "The Judge", Mayor of Houston. Also, owner of the Colt 45s/Astros?

11. tim

Ah, THAT I did NOT know.

Are there not some other elements that the publicity mongers promoting the family legacy have written out from the historical period?

12. Sir Toony Van Dukes

From Wikipedia...

In 1967 Irvin Feld and his brother Israel, along with Houston Judge Roy Hofheinz bought the circus from the Ringling family. In 1971 the Felds and Hofheinz sold the circus to Mattel, buying it back from the toy company in 1982. After the death of Irvin Feld in 1984 the circus has been a part of Feld Entertainment, an international entertainment firm headed by Kenneth Feld.

--

The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus was purchased by the Mattel company in 1971 for $40 million from the Feld family, who was retained as management.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  13. tim

So, I'm assuming that the entire Feld Enterprise, not just the circus and ice show, will be sold to Disney. I wonder whether Kenny will retire, or if he'll get to continue playing with his toy trucks.

14. Sir Toony Van Dukes

http://www.si.com/vault/1969/04/21/...howman-on-earth-and-hes-the-first-to-admit-it

It is Hofheinz's ambition to make out of his Astrodomain an entertainment complex so complete that a family can move into one of his hotels and spend a month without leaving the grounds and have something exciting to do every day. To that end, he purchased his half interest in the circus two years ago and he plans to put it in the Astrohall for three months every summer.

"When I was a kid the circus was the only free show in town," he says. "The circus parade, I mean. I could go down to the midway and wander around looking at the sideshows from the outside, too. I remember when I started working and made enough money to take my mother out, the place I took her was the circus."

Hofheinz didn't buy the circus out of sentiment, although he has long been a circus buff and much of the decoration in the Astrodome, his hotels and his former home in Houston has a circus motif. There is even a mural at the latter depicting the Hofheinz family on the flying trapeze.

The Judge closed the deal for the circus in typically flamboyant style. John Ringling North lives in Rome and Hofheinz and the Feld brothers, who bought the other 50%, flew there in secrecy, taking along a photographer who had no idea why he was going to Italy. Upon their arrival, the Judge rented a lion cub for $80 an hour, then repaired to the Colosseum, where North awaited him.

The transfer of the circus took place there, with only one small contretemps to mar the proceedings. When it came time for the actual signing, a couple of the Judge's aides tried to move a large, flat building stone into a more convenient position, only to be stopped by indignant guards. It seems it had been laid some 2,000 years before by Vespasian.

• Thanks Thanks x 2