1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working my first circus tonight! Help calm my nerves please!

Discussion in 'Circus and Stage Clowning' started by HotWheels, Nov 21, 2014.

1. HotWheels

HotWheels New Member

Hello!

So tonight and tomorrow will be my first circus as HotWheels.. Until now I've only done parades, meet and greets and such where I rely a big part on my balloon animals and one on one interactions with the children to keep things moving along and entertaining.

I'm part of the Oasis Shrine Clowns, and its the Shrine Circus that we'll be doing this weekend, just nervous as I'm not sure what to expect.. I won't have a main part in the skit we're doing so just a part of the peanut gallery so to speak.. Just could use some words of wisdom, or if nothing else a good laugh to help calm my nerves before tonight! Thanks

2. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

Awesome!! I never worked at the circus before, but a few times on stage. Use your nerves! It's always good to be a bit nervous to perform better! When you've done it you will feel great! :D It could give you so much energy and feeling alive!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. HotWheels

HotWheels New Member

Thanks Snoetje! I'll do my best.. and will be sure to post back how it goes with some pictures maybe. I've always had some form of minor stage fright, but it mostly manifests when I have to be 'myself'.. But if I'm acting or performing some part its pretty minor.. Though this is the largest crowd I'll ever have been in front of, so its got me a little amped up and jittery.

Either way, whats the worst that can happen right? As long as I don't fall out of my chair I'm pretty sure they won't take my nose!

4. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

The fun thing when you're a clown, when something happens you can just pretend it's supposed to be, because clowns are clumsy and do so much wrong. :D
    A teacher once told me "a mistake is a present!" :D

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Pinkie Bee

Pinkie Bee New Member

so....update !! how did you do ?? post pictures if you have them

6. HotWheels

HotWheels New Member

Just got home late last night and spent a lot of the day recovering... The circus was absolutely amazing!!! I had such a blast and the kids were beyond belief. I think I have the pictures posted right. While our actual in ring time was short each show, the times before the show, and during intermission were some of the most fun I've had yet as a clown. I can't wait til next year!

Attached Files:

• 070.jpg
      070.jpg
      File size:
      96.8 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      105.7 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      101.9 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      100.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Dude, are you is that you in the wheelchair??

If so, I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences and photos. While not in a wheelchair, I do use a cane, and often for more intensive walking situations, crutches, to get around. I have been rather self-conscious about this while clowning, and so have not sought out many opportunities. You have now given me reason to rethink that.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. HotWheels

HotWheels New Member

Pookie - That is me in the chair. I've been in a chair for 16 years now after a spinal cord injury. I've been very lucky in that the clown group I'm in (Oasis Shrine Clowns) have been very supportive and accepting of my chair. Also, given the work we do with children, I've found that my chair puts me on a level thats different from the others.. Some children who won't approach the other clowns are more comfortable with me. In one of those pics, you can see the child in the chair who I talked with for a little bit. I'm glad that my experiences are able to help you.. If you'd like to chat more, feel free to do it here or shoot me a pm.

• Thanks Thanks x 2