1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your balloon pops!!! What do you say?

Discussion in 'Balloon Sculpture' started by HotWheels, Nov 27, 2014.

1. HotWheels

HotWheels New Member

I've been twisting balloons for a bit over a year now and when I'm using the good quality balloons I tend not to have a lot of problems.. But sometimes it happens, catching a nail, or over inflated or whatever and POP!! There goes the balloon and you've got a kid looking at you expectantly.. What do you say?

Personally I try to make a joke about how I guess that balloon didn't want to be sword, or bird, or whatever I'm making.. Then grab another one and try again.

I was just curious, what other kinds of ways do you guys handle this, thanks.

2. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

Here's an example of what NOT to say.. "That balloon must've been depressed, it just popped itself.."

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Pinkie Bee

Pinkie Bee New Member

everytime a bell rings an angel gets its wings
    everytime a balloon pops a clown gets its nose

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  4. V

V Well-Known Member

Honestly, you'll get over the need to say anything sooner or later. When I first started out, I felt the need to make a joke about the popping but it's part of the job. We're not using 14 guage steel in our craft, we're working with thin latex balloons filled (sometimes to capacity) with air - they're going to pop for any number of reasons (sometimes quite frequently - weather, rough handling, complicated twists, etc).

What I do when a balloon pops? Grab another one from the bag and inflate it...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. maverick

maverick Member

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. HotWheels

HotWheels New Member

V - I don't do it because I feel I /have/ to persay.. Its more I want to be entertaining and I find I can use it as a way to interact with whoever is waiting.

Maverick - Thank you, that site is great, I'd not seen that before. Will definately try to work some of those in sometimes.

Thanks everyone else also, got a good chuckle out of those.

7. tfraymond

tfraymond New Member

Did you see that low-flying hummingbird just now?

(when I drop something)
    Sudden gust of gravity!

(if it pops while making a flower)
    That wasn't a rose, it was a "Poppy"!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

If your balloon pops while twisting it in front of everyone you can save yourself with some humor by just throwing it to the ground then stomp on it and say that will teach ya not to do that again. (book of Creative Clowning)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. sassafrass

sassafrass New Member

i like the stomping part lol

10. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

You can say oh that hurt my ear. Pull out a giant ear of corn. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby in the Thanksgiving decoration area.

11. TerrytheTramp

TerrytheTramp New Member

Thats balloons for ya, no moms, just pops!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

If I'm in possession of the balloon, it's "That balloon didn't want to be an animal anyway", If in the child's possession "Wow, you're a really sharp kid".

WN

13. V

V Well-Known Member

I usually hate these, but admittedly found John Cassidy's (no idea who said it first, but I heard him say it at all, so there's that..) - ''Sometimes they sacrifice themselves so that others may live"

Not that the line is incredibly funny by itself, but it fits his style of humor (and ADHD or his acronym B-A-D)...

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  14. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Sometimes I let out a high pitched, short sound of surprise, as if it scared me. It comes off as a natural, semi improvisational, reaction which the audience is probably feeling, also, so usually connects well in releasing tension. Given, it could become awful annoying fast if I did that every time or I lost several in short succession. But, occasionally, or as a short running joke (as if I'm offering animate spirit to the object and in conflict with it) seems sincere enough and allows me to express character.

15. TorontoBoy

TorontoBoy Active Member

I usually just laugh and carry on, but I do collect the popped ones to cut down and reinflate to garnish other balloons.